The City of Corona Department of Water and Power was informed that a company named American Water Resources Insurance Services will be sending a letter to Corona residents about customer’s service line responsibility and offering their insurance services. The Department of Water and Power is not affiliated with American Water Resources Insurance Services and would like to remind our residents to be informed before making the decision to purchase this type of insurance.
It’s true that homeowners are responsible for water and sewer lines on their property, but the Department of Water and Power is here to help our customers. We can assist with identifying the issue, at no charge to you. We can even help provide a rough estimate for the cost of the repair.
Here are some points for you to consider prior to making a decision about this type of insurance:
- Most homeowners will never experience issues with their water and sewer laterals while they own their home. The materials used on these lateral lines are durable and are intended to last for over 50 years under normal conditions.
- Sewer and water lateral lines usually only extend 30′ or less from the house to the meter, which is a very short distance.
- Most repairs cost less than $100 and are a simple matter of installing a clamp that can be purchased from any local hardware store.
- In many cases, the cost to replace an entire line is between $500 and $1,000. The cost of paying for insurance over many years can exceed this amount.
- A homeowner can help avoid sewer backups and clogged lines by disposing of fats, oils and grease properly. These items, common by-products of cooking, can wreak havoc on sewer lines. The proper way to dispose of these items is in the trash. This can help reduce your chances of a service interruption.
Please don’t hesitate to contact the Department of Water and Power Customer Service group if you have any further questions or concerns. We can be reached at (951) 736-2321 or by e-mail at UtilBill@discovercorona.com.